Airway Friendly Orthodontics
If you are considering orthodontics for yourself or someone in your family, but concerned about its impact on your airway, you can put your fears to rest. When you visit the Breathing and Sleep Center in Colorado Springs, you will find years of experience and knowledge in sleep apnea and airway expansion.
What is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea, or sleep-disordered breathing occurs when the airway is blocked or restricted causing the patient to stop breathing for a few seconds or longer. These episodes cause the patient to wake up several times at night.
What is airway-friendly orthodontics?
This is a particular approach that emphasizes straightening the teeth, but can also help patients with obstructive sleep apnea. There are a number of benefits that patients will receive when undergoing airway-friendly orthodontics:
- You’ll enjoy better breathing, you’ll feel better, and you’ll perform better in any of your normal daily activities.
- It helps improve general well-being by solving the issue of obstructive sleep apnea, which can trigger a number of other health issues.
- It may eliminate the need for jaw surgery in your future.
- It could eliminate the need for braces in your future.
- For younger orthodontic patients, it can contribute to proper facial development.
- It will allow you to have a great night’s sleep without struggling to breathe.
How airway-friendly orthodontics works
Conventional orthodontic treatment can sometimes require teeth to be removed, providing more space to align the teeth. This actually decreases the available space in your airway and inhibits your breathing. Airway-friendly orthodontics, a slightly different approach, is sometimes referred to as growth-oriented orthodontics. This is characterized by jaw expansion, and the advancement of both jaws, creating room for all teeth, the tongue, ultimately developing a wider airway.
If you are considering orthodontic treatment for your children, or even yourself, contact our experts at the Breathing and Sleep Center. We can help you achieve a beautiful smile while considering your overall health and wellness, too!