What is a Sleep Medicine Diplomate?
Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder in which breathing stops and starts. If you snore and you feel tired even after getting 8 hours of sleep, you may be suffering from sleep apnea.
According to the experts, the three primary forms of sleep apnea are:
- Obstructive sleep apnea: this type of sleep apnea is also referred to as OSA. This is the most common type of sleep apnea and occurs when your throat muscles relax too much
- Central sleep apnea: this type of sleep apnea is also known as CSA and is a type of sleep apnea where your brain does not send the appropriate signals to the muscles that control your breathing
- Complex sleep apnea syndrome: this is also referred to as treatment-emergent sleep apnea and occurs when a patient has both types of sleep apnea
At Breathing and Sleep Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado we specialize in working with patients who suffer from sleep apnea and difficulty breathing while sleeping due to underdeveloped jaws. We have two sleep experts on staff, Dr. Eric Erlander and Dr. Kevin Goles. Both have a Diplomate in sleep medicine and are experienced in treating patients with sleep apnea.
Sleep Medicine Diplomate Explained
The American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine, or ABDSM, grants diplomate status to a dentist only after a very intense educational process. Earning this status in dental sleep medicine is something that sleep physicians are familiar with and respect. ABDSM Diplomate is the gold standard in dental sleep medicine. This status proves that a dentist has the skills, knowledge, and judgement to provide the best care with oral appliances.
Reasons to See a Sleep Medicine Diplomate
If you have sleep apnea, you want to get the best treatment possible so that you can get good, quality sleep. A sleep medicine diplomate is at the top of their field in the United States when it comes to sleep medicine. In fact, the American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine has only granted 425 diplomates.
There are several reasons why you should see a sleep medicine diplomate:
- They have the most experience when it comes to oral appliances for sleep- they fit the appliance to your teeth and mouth
- They are the only dentists who are certified to create dental appliances for their sleep apnea patients
- A qualified AADSM can treat patients with obstructive sleep apnea, but they do not have nearly the training as a diplomate
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
The team at Breathing and Sleep Center in Colorado Springs offers high-quality, customized, expert sleep apnea care. Contact us today to schedule your first appointment. We will be happy to discuss any questions and concerns that you might have. We look forward to helping you get your sleep apnea under control.