Is it True That Some People Cannot Wear Their CPAP No Matter How Hard They Try?
Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), usually called “sleep apnea” is characterized by repeated interruptions in sleep and changes in oxygen levels due to partial or total upper airway obstructions. Sleep apnea is estimated to affect 20% of Americans. Many individuals facing the effects of sleep apnea use a CPAP machine.
- Feelings of claustrophobia.
- Noise from the CPAP machine and/or mask leaks which disturbs users and their sleep partners.
- Headgear, hoses, and straps which are uncomfortable and hard to sleep with.
- Allergies to latex in the mask.
Why Treating Sleep Apnea is Important
- Be better rested, feel more refreshed and have more energy during the day.
- Have a lower risk of heart problems and stroke.
- Reduce the risk and problems of depression.
- Lower the risk of mortality.
- Better manage Diabetes.
- Decrease the risk of cancer.
Common CPAP Problems
CPAP treatment is commonly prescribed for sleep apnea, but it has aspects that people may find annoying and hard (or even impossible) to overcome:
- Difficulty getting used to wearing the mask, along with dealing with the hose.
- Difficulty tolerating the forced air.
- Mask leaks that create noise and disturb sleep.
- Difficulty falling asleep while dealing with the mask and sounds of the airflow.
- Dry mouth, skin irritation, or pressure sores.
- Unintentional CPAP machine movement during the night.
Alternatives to CPAP Machine and Mask Treatment
At the Colorado Springs Breathing and Sleep Center, we have an oral device that works to expand your airways so you can breathe freely. It allows you to sleep better and have more energy throughout the day. After time and continual usage, you will even be able to go device-free.
Get Professional Help
The Colorado Springs Breathing and Sleep Center provides the professional know-how to help patients suffering from sleep apnea and sleep-disordered breathing, including treating underdeveloped jaws. Our mission is to educate patients on the appliances, technology, and procedures available with the goal of improving your life by eliminating barriers that hold you back from reaching your best quality of life. Contact us today to learn more about how you can get your best night’s sleep.